BREEDER SEED PRODUCTION UNIT
The Breeder Seed Production unit was started in 1979-80 at University of Agricultural Sciences, Bengaluru under the umbrella of AICRP on NSP (Crops) with the financial assistance from World Bank to the tune of Rs.1.68 crores with a grant-in-aid of Rs.45 lakhs from Government of India. Seed Unit is well supported by this breeder seed production unit by producing adequate of nucleus seeds to meet the breeder seeds indented by Department of Agriculture, Cooperation & Farmers Welfare, Government of India state government and private agencies
Main Objectives of the unit:
- Production and supply of breeder seeds as per the indent of Department of Agriculture, Cooperation & Farmers Welfare, Government of India, GOK and Private Seed Agencies.
- Monitoring the breeder seed production for ensuring genetic purity
- Production of nucleus seeds of different crop varieties: maintenance breeding
- Popularization of new varieties developed by the University
- Identification of diagnostic characteristics of varieties, parental lines and hybrids for DUS testing
- To impart training on breeder seed production and maintenance breeding.
Progress in Nucleus seed production from 2014-15 to 2015-16
|Sl. No||Crops||Quantity produced (q)|
Progress in Breeder seed production from 2011-12 to 2015-16
(Quantity in quintals)
Fig . Progress of breeder seed production over the years